CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

5.07.2008

Wednesday's Wisdom

Over the past week or so, I have learned several lessons. Lessons that I share with you in hopes that my heartache/embarrassment/ah-ha moments, etc. will aid in your journey. Now, I am fully aware that many of MY lessons will have already be learned by you, but please have patience with me, as I am slow to learn some of life's most obvious lessons. Because life is constantly teaching me new things, I have decided to make "Wednesday's Wisdom" a permanent part of this blog. Feel free to comment and add you own lessons-- no need to reinvent the wheel if someone else already has-- know what I mean?



#1 Heavenly Father loves me, aka "In a pinch, Super Glue makes for a handy seam repairer."

Case in point, today at work I looked down and noticed the seam on my sleeve flapping free. Not one to look unkempt, I quickly took advantage of some good ol' scotch tape only to realize that, while it kept the seam under control, it also resulted in an annoying and attention-grabbing crinkly noise that was quite distracting. Now, the attention was nice, but then having to explain what that noise was was a bit odd-- not everyone saw the genius in my quick seam fix. So, I removed the tape and searched through my desk drawer to find that, yes, God does work small miracles. Right before my eyes was a small, forgotten tube of Super Glue. I quickly dab a few dots on the flapping seam and, after ignoring the weird looks from co-workers, produced a repaired, silent seam. Blessings come in small packages. Today one came in the form of Super Glue.


#2 Money Matters/Distance Sucks/ Never be the First

I recently ended a relationship. While the man by all accounts is a gem-- a rough, unpolished one at that-- I gained several tidbits of insight into what makes a successful relationship. The first is that money matters. No, I don't need gobs of money to be happy, but I do need to have at least a gob. Unfortunately for me, The Man, at best had half a gob-ette. I tried to look over this financial shortcoming, but in the end it proved to be an issue for both of us. He felt bad about his gob-ette and I only made things worse by trying to share my gob.

Distance sucks. No matter how many phone calls, email, texts, etc. are exchanged a successful relationship needs constant, reliable face time. Long-distance relationships are not for the needy, high-maintainance type woman. I have learned that I am one of those.

Never be the first. Divorcees are wonderful people. But, they need time to adjust and get back into "the game." Now, I know that everyone out there knows of an exception to this rule, but I wasn't me. The Man and I tried our best, but ultimately, he was rebounding, I realized money matters, and distance sucks and we ended up calling it quits. Although a mutual decision, breaking up sucks. Which leads into...


#3 Friends, family, and fried food can heal a broken heart. Thank you to everyone that has listened to me over the past week lament my broken heart. Oh, and thank you Taco Time. Your stuffed Mexi-Fries have healed me. While I can't promise that conversations solely revolving around my hurt heart are in the past, I can promise that I have learned that I am loved by you all more than The Man ever could have. I guess that points back to lesson #1-- Heavenly Father loves me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!



So, there you go-- Wednesday's Wisdom. Now, go buy yourself a tube of Super Glue!



~B

5 comments:

Nate and Steph & Brooke said...

Wow, I think I'm going to enjoy Wednesday Wisdom! Seeing that is the only way I can talk to you. Love ya Beth keep your head up and let's do lunch soon!
Steph

Nathan and Emily said...

Amen. Amen. and Amen. Harmon you are a wise sister, I miss our time together! Always better to say no to the right one than yes to the wrong. Money is crucial, one of the top three reasons for trouble, you're a smart cookie to recognize it. So many don't.

Standita's said...

Wednesday Wisdom something I will look forward to. Cafe Rio always helps me when I'm down mmmmm...pork.

Anonymous said...

Super glue is the stuff of miracles. Agreed. I do, however, hate that the relationship ended. Not that I don't think you can do better, but any and every relationship (except perhaps with a narcisisstic, co-dependent, suicidal maniac) that ends, hurts. And that's sad. But I love you! And, ummm, MexiFries. I love those too.

Sharona said...

Hmm.. you lost me on the mexifries. I much prefer cookies, chocolate and ice cream for heart soothing -- that's a three course meal full of gooey, stick-to-your-ribs love right there. But perhaps I should give mexifries a try sometime. I'm a bit sad, but your post mostly made me GLAD for you! Mostly because I love how you take the best from things. And I'm glad you ended this one before 7 yrs past you by and THEN had to do that. The comfort of just being in a relationship, even if it's the wrong one, can be very addicting. You are a wise woman.