CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

5.21.2008

Wednesday's Wisdom

This past week has been filled with lots of learning experiences. Luckily, I was able to share most of them with people I love. I thought I would share some of these moments with you.

First, 34 is my new favorite number. NO, that is not my age (I am 31, thank you very much)but, it is the count from my mom's latest CA-125 test. What? What is a CA-125 test, you ask? It is the test to measure a certain protein attributed to various forms of cancer, including Ovarian Cancer. My mom was diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer in February and has since endured with amazing courage, a major surgery to remove the bulk of the cancer, and 3 sessions of chemotherapy-- she has 3 more to go. To give you an idea of how well she is fighting this disease, let me give you some background. When she was first diagnosed her count was above 500. After surgery it dropped to around 130. After the first round of chemo it dropped to 93, and then, after the second round, it dropped to...wait for it... 34!!! I can't wait to see where it is at after this third round of chemo. A normal CA-125 test is anywhere from 0-35. I am so thrilled that my mom is doing so well. This whole experience has been life changing for me. I love my mom so much and feel so loved by our Heavenly Father. I know that he is taking care of us Harmon's. Hopefully, I will have a new favorite number in a couple of weeks :).

Scott Marsh is my hero. I went to a singles conference this past weekend with my sister, and one of my best friends. It was one of those "over 30" conferences, so feel free to insert a joke of your liking here. Now that we have all stopped laughing, let me just tell you that the workshops were fantastic. One was conducted by Scott Marsh. He is a BYU professor in finance and also leads financial workshops for major companies. He is a-maz-ing. I learned that preparing for retirement is not that scary, nor that big of a financial commitment at my age. This workshop gave me the kick in the butt I needed to finally get rid-- not just pay to get more--of all my debt. Here find yourself motivated and visit www.powerpay.org This is a nifty site developed by Utah State University to help the public manage and pay off their debt in a reasonable amount of time. Besides being highly motivated by Mr. Marsh, I was able to spend some quality time with two of my favorite women. Thank you again for going with me:).

Finally, to wrap things up for the week, here's some good ol' advice from mom: Trust what one does, not what they say. Now, this doesn't mean to never trust what someone tells you, but as a general rule of thumb, if someone tells you they like to take out the garbage, but then never actually take it out, it would be safe to assume that one doesn't really like to take out the garbage. Or, as another example, if someone expresses that they find you humorous, but then fail to laugh at any of your jokes, it would be safe to say that they really don't find you humorous. You can see that this advice applies to feelings, emotions, etc. that we all say we have, but it is only in expressing those thoughts, feeling, emotions, that another can trust that they are true. Know what I mean, jellybean? Or, maybe Mom and I are just bitter. I'll let you be the judge on that one :).

So, there you have, another week's wisdom.

Peace out-
B

2 comments:

the Rew Crew said...

Hooray for 34! I am so pumped that things are going well for your mom.

As for financial planning...hello McFly! I've been telling you this for years.

Ritch in Love said...

I'm so happy for your mom's progress!